Thursday, February 25, 2010

Update on container shipment.

I gave the completed translations to the customs clearance broker last Thursday, he submitted them on Saturday. Monday, the broker had not returned to continue the process, so Tuesday I went to the port myself to check on things. The broker showed up finally and we moved the papers through about ten offices that all wanted to stamp them. Then it was about 4pm, so it was time for everyone to wind down to get ready to stop working. Today we had to verify the contents (which involved pulling everything out onto the asphalt and then packing them back up. At ths point I was beginning to feel some frustration and I noticed some of the boxes that came from the church in Boiling Springs had several messages written on them - HAVE FAITH! and GOD CARES FOR YOU! I enjoy the way our heavenly Father comforts us! :) Tomorrow I hope to receive the evaluation paper of duties and then I have to go with this and a letter to the President for exoneration. If that goes well (Pray God it does not get left on someones desk for a day or so), we will return to the customs office downtown where we need a paper from the director to send to the port to release the items. Then I need to hire some trucks to transport the containers across country to the mountains where our mission facility is located where we will attempt to unload two 30,000 pound containers without a crane. We will set up for the construction team to finish the mission house (they arrive on Monday.) Then we will package the relief items into bags to take over into Haiti for distribution. How's that!

No comments: