Memoirs of First Haiti Trip
by Missionary Darren Truel
When I was a little boy, many times I dreamed of flying through the air. I would be playing in some sort of playground (maybe at school) and the children would chase me. As I ran from them I would begin to be able to fly above the ground. When I awoke from the dream I was very sad to see that it was only a dream. I did not want to think that this dream could not be reality, so I would get beside my bed on my knees and ask God to allow me to be able to fly. I promised him that I would tell everyone that I met that it was God only that gave me this ability. I would then go outside in the dark morning in my backyard and run and jump up with arms stretched up expecting to fly. What I did not realize at that time is that God does things in his own time for our good.
The following memoirs were during the first trip that I took to Haiti from the Turks and Caicos Islands. My wife had just gave birth to our second son, Joshua Darren Truel, on fathers day. She was in the U.S. while I needed to stay in the Islands to preach the Creole (with an interpreter) services. We were apart for six weeks and it was during this time that I decided to take this trip not knowing anyone in Haiti or where I would stay when arriving. An Haitian from the North Caicos church named Marcell invited me (or I invited him ? not sure) and had me pay his way where he would reimburse me on the other side of la mer (the ocean) Well after hundreds of dollars later I ended up realizing he did not really have the money nor a place for us to stay after arriving. Yet, I am sure that this was the way that was planned for all things to work and would gladly pay more of Gods money to see Him lead me to where I am today.
Caicos is made up of several islands, both inhabited and not. We lived on North Caicos and must past through the island of Providenciales to connect to Haiti. It was not until we were on the plane in Provo that when the pilot was collecting our fare that Marcell suddenly realized he had no money to make the trip. He assured me he would get it when he arrived to his house in Cap Haitian after arriving. This of course took care of my crutch money that I was leaning on to take care of everything. Well, when God wants to give you a chance to walk by faith, he sure understands how to check our bags for any contraband.
I was still left with about fifty dollars, so after landing at the international airport of Cap Haitian ( a long runway with only half usable to land on, and that having livestock sometimes causing the pilot to practice his touch and go training), we found a taxi chauffeur, who would take us to Marcell's pastors home because he was good zanmi (friend). Well after driving all over the city, we found the pastor near his church downtown. It was about a three thousand member church, and the pastor did not even recognize Marcell as a member much less a friend. He was cordial to us, but the surprise of me coming to stay with him was embarrassing to him and me. Of course Marcell had some more stories to innovate for plan B to find a place to stay. As we begin to ride again paying this taxi drivers annual wage in one day I decided to step up and make a decision before I was put out on the side of the road because of the fare. I knew of a Christian radio station called 4VEH (kat-veh-eh-ach) which I repeated several times to the driver. After the driver and I outnumbered Marcell in the vote (one of the few unadulterated democratic election in Haitis history) we arrived at the mission compound. The driver proceeded to enter and as I looked from the back seat of the Datsun station wagon to find some blans (white folks as we call dem down south) to help me sort out this fiasco I noticed the driver had taken advantage of the wide open space of the compound and next we were driving through missionaries side and back yards looking for someone to be my mediator. Finally, after directing the driver out of the shrubbery onto the dirt drive, we rounded a corner as my attention caught an older man seated on the steps of an American style 1920 wooden old home. I stopped the taxi and called to the man. As he approached me, I asked if he spoke English (God's Language). It was here that I parted from Marcell and the happy taxi driver ( and practically, the rest of my money) and met Gods choice to host my first trip to the country of many mountains.

Monday June 25th - Monday July 2nd
Year of our Lord 1990
June 25th, 1990 5:35 PM
Cap Haitian, Haiti
I arrived back here at Pastor Jozeph Altidors home from visiting the city. It is hard to put into words the scenes I see. In places the smell is very awful. I went to the Public Telephone to call Jennifer (she was not home) I talked to Becky. The electricity is out here when we returned. Earlier I visited 4VEH; very nice compared to what else I see. The people were very friendly. We ate at a restaurant; looked like an old western type place. I ate goat & plantain & rice
June 25th 9:45 PM
Well I'm finally settled down in the bedroom. Hopefully the rats will find more food outside to occupy themselves tonight. Seems the Lord has put me smack dab in the middle of this - whatever you would call it. I preached tonight at the church of the Pastor I am staying here with. The gospel definitely had free course and that in spite of my lack of fervent prayer. I preached out of Ephesians 2:8-9 / Titus 3 and spoke of my testimony and the judgment , etc.
The folks here attend church seven days a week. Much grace is needed for my family to live here. I cannot picture Jennifer and Zachariah and Joshua here. God help us.
To describe this place on paper would take a genius of a writer, but I will still try. While sitting (or lying) here on the bed I am writing beside a kerosene lamps light while the sound of many outside carry on conversation in the alley. The alley is the front yard which has a deep gully strait up the middle leading out to the road where much traffic; people, bikes, mopeds, motorcycles, tap-taps, cars, buses, donkeys, and many others push their way around, through, over, under, or any way they can keep moving. About the only traffic rules I see is the side of the road people drive on. It is late and I'm tired. Goodnight. I love Jennifer Michele.
Gasoline $2.10 gallon. Pastor said it would be cheaper in the long run to build house than to rent. (?)
June 26th 7:23 AM
And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
Talked with Pastor Altidor; he referred to himself last night as the man in Macedonia in Acts 16. He said he has been praying for someone to help in the work in Haiti. The day I arrived he said he was felt lead to go over to 4VEH and was sitting outside when we drove up. Doctrinally we talked on salvation and baptism - sanctification. He seems easily persuaded either way towards Baptist & Wesleyan. He definitely does not understand dispensational divisions of baptism. Planning on going to call Jennifer and the American Embassy.
3:20 PM
The telephones were not working. We just finished eating lunch. We had rice & beans, bread, ground beef patties, and cashews (made in a sauce for over the rice.) had orange juice (sour oranges) and pudding for dessert. Read over some newsletter of a group that helps Pastor Altidor called A.T.O.M. Also visited the dock where ships come in where I bought a mahogany chalet for $7 dollars.
Tuesday Night 26th
I just finished preaching here at Vaudreille, sitting here in the church while Pastor Altidor is now preaching. I preached tonight from Ezekiel 28; I Cor.1-2; John 1:1,14; I John 2
June 26th 9:55 PM
Well I'm on my way back to the Pastors riding in a tap-tap from the legliz. I'm very weak possibly dehydrated my mouth is dry. The electricity is on and off here in Cape all over. Met two students outside the gates of 4VEH learning English in college. The one I spoke to the most is in a Catholic college .. it seems they offer the best education (secular) Computer science, chemistry, etc.
I spoke to Mr. Mardy Picazo, (missionary here for 32-38 years at 4VEH) before preaching tonight.
We must have entered (the tap-tap) back into town I can tell by the smell.
June 27th 6:30 AM
We just finished prayer meeting at the church here in Cape. We awoke 5:20 and arrived here around 5:50. Spiritually and physically had a rough night so I was glad to get out to pray. Must go for now.
6:55 AM
Stop on side of road on the way home to get our shoes polished [ he's polishing my tennis shoes ! (?) ] Noticed the influence of religion even the businesses such as tap-taps, etc. have verses & Catholic pictures mixed with Masonic emblems and pictures of girls ! (?)

June 27th 9:52 AM
Sitting here in the office of Electricitie D'Haiti where the Pastor is paying his bill. From the what I understand the rate is different as the consumption increases .14, .16, .18 Pastors bill was about $99. The fellow came out this morning that I bought the mahogany.. spent $20 more dollars.
It feels like over an hundred degrees in my room since there is no breeze. Getting ready to take a shower outside in a small room. When I awake I say to myself, "you can't seriously be thinking about living here are you !?" Not my will but thine be done, LORD.
June 27th 9:15 PM
I have just finished preaching here in the church downtown on the priesthood. WHAT A BATTLE ! No surprise; I am glad the devil is concerned. First a lighting storm and rain. Then someone took the keys to the church; the generator was empty. Then after getting it started the lights seemed like they would not turn on. Finally after getting started as soon as I started ( or the interpreter ) to read I Peter 2:5 he could not speak. He choked over and over for awhile. Well that's warfare. Praise the Lord !
Wed 27th 11:05 PM
Just laid down for bed. Had good fellowship with folks at church and Pastors family ansoua. After eating some bread - mange inpe pin - We sang hymns together. Today Pastor Tony told me the theme of his work with the Haitians Don't give us fish - teach us how to fish He explained that this is the problem with most missionary work. His church is the first and only self supporting legliz in this area (possibly Haiti). Pastor and his wife talked with me or asked me about Jennifer's feelings of living here. Mrs. Altidor said she (meaning herself) was a bad wife because she did not like living in this area. ( I told her that I did not blame her - that was normal ) I mention something about possible the Lord providing a house with ours on the same property someday. She jumped up and started clapping her hands, bouncing on the couch and singing. Well I am going to get some rest tomorrow is fast day for the church. I should be able to go to sleep with all of the pleasant night sounds of mosquitoes singing, a Latin American style station playing in the alley on radio ( they just turned it off ! ) and a rat skirmishing in the corner beside my bed that I cannot see ! Domi Bon Jennifer my love. P.S. Pastor Altidor said, Do not go where they need you, but go where they need you most.
June 28th 11:23 AM
I'm here in the country side at a prayer service - different folks are giving their testimony of the Lords work for them - today is a fast day (half day). It is very pleasant weather out here. I'm supposed to be preaching in a moment. Planning out of Luke 6:44-49. This would be a very nice area to build a house, its right between Cape & La Plaines du Nord and close to 4VEH. Services just ended.
Thurs. 28th 7:18 PM
In a tap-tap again on my way to church. I got very sick today during and after church. So I laid down until about an hour ago. Pastor had already left when I awoke but Marcell was with me. I still feel little sick, but it is much better to get out.
Services were peculiar in that 4/5th of the congregation was female.
Thurs 28th 7:40 PM
Inside the church here, Pastor Altidor is preaching (that fellow preaches !) Many people here; looks like around 800. This is some type of activity night. Some graduates up front; this first church I visited with musical instruments (organ). Pastor Tony is here also.
8:35 PM
Riding in tap-tap. They had a graduation service in the church at Champion. Pastor Altidor and I discussed Gods will for me as we walked. It is evident I will be working with him in the churches here. He does not want me to make any decision or persuade me in any way but that I should make sure of Gods will for me.
June 28th 8:55 PM
Sitting outside the front porch (about three foot from door) on banister. Good breeze to cool off things, even though it stirs up the smell of things many people out tonight ( as usual ) feel much better than I did since taking Kaopectate, but really believe it was the prayer that did it. In front of the house is a type of side walk road. Picture a wide sidewalk cut right down the middle with a concrete trench for sewage or waste (most have outhouses) their is no such thing as a yard. The house vary from mud & stick walls, one story, one room to 2 & 3 stories; but even these are compacted sorta like New Orleans ghetto type housing (but probably worse.) Feel much more comfortable here in Haiti ( but still cautious) I asked God for grace this morning for me and my family. Cant wait to hold Jennifer and the boys.
Fri 29th 10 AM
Well you wouldn't believe where I am now. This morning we headed out for Grand Ravine to preach. We rode on the back of a small pick-up truck with about 30 people packed every where they could ( I sat on top of frame over cab !) then we came to a dry river bed where we walked from there --- gotta go.
29th 10:35 AM
many miles into over, and around the mountains by foot. We are now sitting on top of a large hill with many children under a grass hut.
29th 11:30 AM
Precious.
The Lord greatly blessed in services here. Preached on the importance of the Word of God & study of it for the future of these people. The children here sing very good; they even sang me a song in English to welcome me. By the way, the name of this place is Grand Ravine. The pastor is exhorting the people to started bring one rock or something to start building a church building each time they in order to be able to have church even during rain. The trip here is long; through rain forest type terrain, over streams, up mountain side .. it is very beautiful out here and a cool wind with much fresher air. My clothes were soaked with sweat when I arrived.
2:15 PM
Just sat down from walk out of the mountains. Before leaving Kada we ate some coconut, mango, banana, and drank some coconut juice & water. Quite a few children were scared (p) of me because (pasque) they had never seen a white person. Others say, after I greet them, Bonjour Blan ( Good morning white person)
Fri 29th 3:32 PM
Have been sitting here in a large tap-tap in one spot for about 40 minutes so far. We are on our way back to Cape. We are either going home or 4VEH; not sure which one. A lot of traffic (people) here we are waiting to fill up the truck with people. We have a ways to go! I want to try to contact the states by telephone tonight. There seems to be some hypocrisy among the American missionaries here.*(see comment) When people come from the states the missionaries put up a of what they are doing, but when gone their is hardly no collaboration with the native churches. Pastor Tony put it like this: They brought a little America to Haiti and closed it in with walls. Truly there is so much work to be done here it is beyond explanation. Everywhere I go their is people - lost.
Sat June 30th 9:43 AM
Had a very rough night to top off a very rough day yesterday. To review yesterday: We rode on back of pick up far to the edge of the mountains, from there we walked miles into the mountains (some hard hiking) where we finally reached a bamboo frame shelter on top of a large hill in the middle of some large mountains where a good size congregation (mostly children) met and I preached. After returning out of the mountains we caught a large tap-tap which stopped in a busy village and we sat (with the truck) running for at least an hour. It was very hot and I got a bad headache from the carbon-monoxide. The pastor had to go onto a meeting at Vaudreville (in which he was late) while he told me to ride on to the house. Well the tap-tap stopped just inside the city limits and parked; so we had to walk from there. Marcell kept stopping to talk to many friends, so finally I walked on without him. When I arrived home (hoping for electricity to be fixed by now) it was hotter inside the house than out. I did have a good tasting dinner (not sure what it was) and tried to lay down to get some rest. It is literally between 95-100 F in that room with NO breeze whatsoever. So after soaking the sheets with sweat I finally got back up. Pastor had arrived and was eating. So after a little while we went to call Jennifer on phone. After standing in line for quite a while with no progress in line we finally decided to go home it was around 11 PM The night was very hot also and devils gave me a fit throughout the whole night. I was awake most of the night. One time I was in some kind of dream state (half awake & half asleep) with devils (some type of crawling creatures, I could not discern exactly what they were) on the walls, floors, & bed. Finally I jumped out of bed when a giant roach was dangling above my bed on a spider web string !? After this I had something in my right eye that I could not get out for anything so after trying a while I went and woke up Pastor to help get it out. Gotta go.
June 30th 11:25 AM
Tried to call states but phones were still out. Right now sitting in auditorium where many people come for service. There's about 2000 to 3500 people in here. (It seems most Christians believe in a falling away or backsliding from Christ; including Pastor Altidor) there is definitely a zeal among these people for the gospel. I do not see much sign on the Charismatic spirit here; but if the folks do not get grounded in sound doctrine they are definitely open for such. Pastor Tony is sitting here with me, also: They are planning a big fast day for all the Christians in La Plains du Nord seeing this is the voodoo center of the world.
Voodoo Ceremonial Site
30th 12:10 PM
I was able to preach for a short time. I exhorted the people on giving attendance to reading and sound doctrine. I spoke of the importance of sound doctrine in these days. Well the next two preachers who preached were speaking in Spanish. Charismatic.
12:45 PM
Services are almost over. Pastor Altidor is giving benediction. Many singing. Some charismatic spirit going around, some just sleeping.
30th 12:55 PM
12 people claimed salvation at this meeting. Many more women than men again here at services. Services are over at 1:00 except the two Spanish speaking preachers are having a healing service laying on of hands.
This service is held weekly; all the local churches gather here.
On my way to call Jennifer.
Phones were closed.
Sat 1:35 PM
It is not the Catholics I am concerned too much about or the Voodoo as much as the charismatics. These will bring them all together. If the people do not see the importance of studying the word of God doctrinally they will definitely be easy bait for the ecumenical (communist) movement.
My spirit grieved today with this place; probably because of that devilish meeting today; I guess?
Sat 30th 7:25 PM
Here at Teleco; phones are working but there is a line of about 50 people or more. I am not sure I am going to wait.
July 1st 7:22 AM
Slept last night upstairs out on balcony. Best sleep yet; had a slight breeze throughout the night. I am thinking about leaving tomorrow. I am supposed to preach this morning at La Forcette and tonight at Vaudreville. Yesterday met some Mormons, one from Utah and another from Canada leaving here in Cape. Also talked with Mr. Picazo (HH5MP) for a little while about immigration, housing, and ham regulations.
Sunday 1st 9:57 AM
Right now the folks are finishing with Sunday school. I am getting ready to preach. Huge crowd here this morning looks like about 800 (maybe more ?) Planning on preaching on sin/sins the atonement.
1st 11:40 AM
I just finished preaching had much warfare on presenting the atonement of the Lord
July 1st 12:02 PM
Just finished greeting everyone at door as they left. Any others who have stayed we are getting ready to serve the Lords table. I think it is closed only to those who have been baptized.
{ John Baptist Joachin
shoes
Sunday 1st 5:12 PM
Sitting here in the compound at 4VEH. Pastor Altidor is having a funeral service while I tried to contact Jim Newman through HH5MV Mr. Picazo but no one on the net (no one at Gethsemane) to contact this was a 3:30; met some Haitian boys between ages 10-13 tried talking with them a while they told me about a doctor here, Doctor Harry, who could give me some medicine for my sickness. Which later I saw him coming by and he took me and gave me some Pepto-Bismol Tablets & some other medicine for my digestive (diarrhea) I'm still not sure on the message tonight. Of course this is why all of the distraction
The missionaries here at 4VEH seem very busy; but I am not what about. I have not seen them attend church at any of the service I have been at ( which are churches from here).
6:04 PM
I am here in the Radio Station; I had to find a bathroom. Some how or another I missed Pastor Altidor; I cannot find him and the church was all locked up. He should be back by 7:00 for that is when services start. I believe I am going to preach on the mysteries of God. These will build the foundation for sound doctrine. Pastor Altidor reminds me much of Pastor Sunga; doctrinally not real stable, but really has a burden for his people - sincere.
6:35 PM
Pastor arrived back, he returned from the cemetery and visiting the family of the person who died. He also explained the person who we prayed for (with) died also. Her funeral will be Wed. Symptoms looked like AIDS to me.
1st 8:55 PM
Services are just getting started. Something I forgot to write I just remembered: This morning when I arrived at La Forcette their was discussion among some men to the Pastor about Daniel 3:25 because their was difference in two Creole Bibles
July 1st 9:45 PM
Just finished preaching on the seven mysteries of God; the people are very sleepy tonight.

1 comment:
Comments on the local missionaries were based on my limited experience of church planting during these early days. It is very common and encouraged that a missionary hand over the work once established to the local believers and continue to be involved with the planting of new works. This explains why I did not see them in the regular church services of these already established congregations.
Post a Comment